Sport is an integral part of the curriculum. Primary teachers are trained to deliver the Physical Education program of the UK National Curriculum in much the same way as they would be for Maths; English; History etc.
Each primary class has a timetabled slot in the school week when the children receive PE on the school site. Depending on age, activities range from the development of gross motor skills such as eye/hand co-ordination, to being able to follow and enact the rules for certain team games such as hockey; volleyball; netball; basketball.
On the designated day, two year groups go to a fully equipped Sports Centre/Gym, where students have use of the following:
- a 250sqm fully equipped space with beams of 3 different heights; a vaulting horse; rings and trampette for ‘Ginnastica Artistica’.
- an 80sqm space for dance and movement
- separate changing rooms for boys and girls
Lessons in Gymnastics are delivered by a qualified gymnastics teacher who speaks English.
- The New School participates in regular football matches (boys and girls) against other international schools in Rome.
- The school also organises an annual inter-schools Primary School Football Tournament which takes place each May.
- During break times in the Autumn Term, KS2 take part in an inter-house hockey tournament.
- The end of the Summer Term sees the students, in vertically grouped House teams, take part in a Fun Sports Morning.