Who We Are
The New School was set up in 1972 by a group of pioneering teachers who wanted a school that addressed individual needs of students.
The school retains this core ethos to this day.
The New School seeks to stimulate creativity, intellectual curiosity and a sense of social responsibility.
In 2019 the school adopted the learner profile.
- Honour the “process over the product”.
- Be resilient in the face of failure.
- Not be afraid to make a mistake.
- Embrace difficulty.
- Realise that failure and confusion are all part of the learning process.
- Have an inquiring mind.
- Have a thirst for knowledge.
- Honour the questioning process.
- Have an ability to critique sources and question information.
- Be caring to oneself and others.
- Be kind to oneself and others.
- Be compassionate to oneself and others.
- Be respectful to oneself and others
- Students should take responsibility for their own learning journey.
- Students should learn resourcefulness and independence.
- Students should accept responsibility for their own actions.
- Students should take responsibility for the school environment and beyond.
- Students should embrace cultural diversity.
- Students should adopt an International Mindset.
- Students should be open to alternative ideas and opinions.
- Students should appreciate their own cultural richness in addition to the cultural richness of others.
- Students should have the ability to create rather than imitate.
- Students should honour the Arts and the value of Art, Music, Drama, Dance.
- Students should have the ability to see creative and new ways of approaching issues, problems.
- Students should have the ability to apply creative problem solving and alternative ways of understanding to all subject areas.
- Students should be honest in all aspects of work and communication.
- Students should have strong moral guiding principles.
- Students should be socially aware on a local, national and international level.
How is the school organised?
There are two decision-making bodies at The New School, the Academic Council and the Executive Council. The Academic Council is the main policy making forum in the New School Rome. It consists of teachers and student representatives from Year 7 and above and meets once a half term. The Executive Council is the governing body of The New School Association. The Executive Council also has responsibility for all strategic, legal and financial aspects of the school's management and organization. The Council is made up of 7 members, 4 parent members (3 elected members and 1 co-opted member), the Academic Council Chairperson (Headteacher) and 2 elected teacher members. The Chairperson of the Council is a parent member and is elected by the Council to hold this office.
Members of the Executive Council 2021/2022
- Sasha Fugazzola: Chairperson of the Executive Council.
- Catherine Logan: Vice-Chair and Chairperson of the Academic Council.
- Parent members: Andrea Federico, Raffaelle Cassano and Edward Cutler.
- Teacher members: Chris Reid and Anna Madden.
Contact email: email@example.com